BTEC Match Report: Blackpool FC vs Carlisle United

The Seasiders thought back from 2-0 to take all three points after a sensational strike by James Ashworth kick started a brilliant second half performance. 

It was a disastrous start to the BTEC students 2019/2020 campaign as they went 1-0 down inside 60 seconds. A long ball cut open the Blackpool defence leaving the Carlisle striker through on goal. The striker took his chance well slotting the ball through the keepers legs.

Things went from bad to worse as Carlisle were in full control and deservingly doubled their lead only 10 minutes later. A great pass from the Blues number 8 once again split the defence and his teammate took the ball round the en-rushing Blackpool keeper to give his side a dream start to the game.

25 minutes played and Blackpool have finally woken up. Blackpool nearly pulled back level with a goalmouth scramble and a close range shot from Tom Hanslip, but the keeper had strong wrists to keep his effort out.

After a few heated moments and strong challenges flying in from both sides. Blackpool were handed a lifeline just before the break when a superb through ball from Kai Clarkson-Lowe sent Lewis Loughran through on goal who then blasted the ball into the bottom left hand corner to halve the deficit.

Half Time: Carlisle United 2-1 Blackpool FC

Blackpool started the second half the way they ended the first with some fast flowing football down the left hand side. Jack Robbins and Kai both went close to making the scoreline level however both efforts were smothered by the Blues keeper.

15 minutes into the second half Tom got the better of his man and directed his header wide towards the left, which sat up perfectly for James Ashworth to strike the ball on the half volley from 25 yards out into the top right hand corner, giving the Carlisle keeper no chance and making the score 2-2.

It’s all Blackpool and Callum Brown drives through the heart of the Cumbrians defence sending the ball wide to the left leaving Kai through on goal, who then slotted the ball underneath the approaching Carlisle keeper to give Blackpool the lead for the first time in the match.

The one goal lead wasn’t enough with Blackpool searching for more in the final 10 minutes. Cal Brown picked up the ball deep inside the Carlisle half and plays an intelligent reverse pass to Lewis which split the defence and left Lewis one on one with the keeper, again getting the better of him and doubling Blackpool’s lead.

The game were drawing to a close with only a few minutes left on the clock, Josh Summers-Green picks up the ball on the right wing and plays it inside to Tom who’s waiting on the edge. Tom brings the ball down well and expertly guides his shot into the bottom right corner, sealing off a fantastic second half performance for the seasiders.

Full Time: Carlisle United 2-5 Blackpool FC

Written by: Joe Shaw, BTEC Level 3 second year student.