Armed Forces Day takes place on the last Saturday in June each year, this year it is being celebrated on June 25th. During the week leading up to the event, organisations and the public show their support for the Armed forces and provide a valued morale boost for troops and their families.
In the lead-up to Armed Forces Day, we are holding events to celebrate the occasion:
- On Tuesday 21st June local veterans are invited to attend a free Stadium Tour at Bloomfield Road.
- On Wednesday 22nd our weekly NAAFI Break will be taking place at The Corner Flag at Bloomfield Road Stadium. Armed forces veterans are encouraged to come along to enjoy a bacon or sausage sandwich and a cup of NATO tea or coffee for a small donation of £1.
- On Thursday 23rd our Veterans Walk and Talk sessions and Forces Football provide an opportunity for veterans to come together in celebration of the event.
- On Friday 24th June transport will be provided by Blackpool FC Community Trust for any veterans wishing to attend the Fylde Memorial Arboretum & Community Woodland for a memorial service.
- On Saturday 25th June Blackpool FC Community Trust are planning a trip for veterans to attend an Open Day in Hangar 42 at Blackpool Airport.
Armed Forces Engagement Officer at Blackpool FC Community Trust, Tony, will also be attending the Armed Forces Day flag-raising ceremony at the town hall on Monday 20th to begin the celebrations. To finish the week, Tony will be attending the Blackpool War Memorial for a service of thanks at the cenotaph on the promenade.
One of the participants from our NAAFI break and Walk and Talks, Alan said,
“It’s given me a reason to do things, I know that I’m coming here so I get everything else done before I get here. I guess you could say the sessions have prevented me from being lonely. I come to talk to these guys and I know I can give them a phone call if I need them.”
Read more about what Alan had to say here.